[LGM] server migration of the IRC channel?

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Wed May 26 18:54:09 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-05-26 at 20:19 +0200, ale rimoldi wrote:
> i'm used to irc, but most channels feel empty nowadays.
>  i also don't know anybody around me who uses it or even knows what
> it is...
> (ok, that's true also about matrix and element... but it's still new
> : - )

On non-IRC chat --

Overall i think matrix has lost out to slack and to discord.  (is there
actually a client for matrix these days that's libre and non-sucky i
wonder?) largely because of the connections to other business software
(slack) and to games (discord).

All of these lost out to IRC because of (1) inline images and coloured
emoji, and (2) you don't lose messages when you're disconnected, and
(3) you can connect from multiple devices without multiple accounts.

But they are not libre. I'd be up for a libre alternative especially if
it was distributed.

Liam (ankh / demib0y)

--
Liam Quin - https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Full-time "slave" in voluntary servitude