[Libreoffice-qa] Assigning Bugs

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 02:06:22 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 10:55 +0200, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
> For now we agreed on Markus' proposal that for CALC assignations
> normally should be for Kohei, but Status should remain NEW. Until the
> Bug will be accepted by changing status to ASSIGNED, the assignee has
> not started work on the bug, and coworkers are invited to take over.
>
> An alternative might be other way round: to ASSIGN leaving assignee on
> default. The advantage is to avoid that bucko exclamation mark "hey, you
> guy, fix this bug immediately". Disadvantage is that no developer will
> get an e-mail. Until we can be sure that developers every morning run a
> Bugzilla Query "Assigned bugs on my turf" that kind of assignation imho
> would be too arbitrary.

Two possible solutions, sort of related.
a) heavy-weight-version: bugs from unconfirmed pool get assigned after
confirmation to a per-project mailing list that interested developers
subscribe to
b) poor-mans-version: bugzilla's typically have the ability to "watch"
an account/email address, so e.g. assign confirmed bugs to Kohei (or
some pseudo-account) that all calc developers "watch"
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email

b is the model we've followed on our (relatively small) team to
cross-watch each-others bugzilla moves. So Markus can add a watch on
Kohei's account and will get a mail when Kohei gets a bug.

C.