[Libreoffice-qa] WinDbg ?

Tor Lillqvist tlillqvist at novell.com
Thu Aug 25 23:32:14 PDT 2011

> 	Are the free Windows debugging tools:
> 	http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463009
> 	any good ?

Sure they are. Useful for lower-level debugging where the Visual Studio debugger isn't powerful enough. Much closer to gdb-style debugging (even if these, too have a kind of GUI). Can be used to debug the kernel even. But they have a steep learning curve. (And a correspondingly speedy forgetting curve... [points at himself])

>  (or are they even free) ? ;-)

Free as in beer, sure.

> 	And/or should we have steps on:
> 	http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/How_to_debug
> 	As to how to go about debugging with them ?

Well, assuming somebody has time to learn how to do that, why not... But I wouldn't expect normal users to be able to do it, no matter how good the instructions.

There is code inside LO to produce more useful stack traces in crashes on Windows, isn't there? Do we (accidentally?) diable that? Do we strip symbols from binaries (or don't ship .pdb files) without thinking? How much larger would the installer / an installation be on Windows if we shipped symbols and made sure backtraces are displayed?

--tml