[Libreoffice-qa] [Libreoffice] Java 7 support in LO 3.4.5 (was: minutes of tech. steering call ...)

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Fri Dec 9 02:43:36 PST 2011

> I'm new to this QA system, but wouldn't it be useful to know when
> (date/time) this was added?

Added where? You need to realise that we use a *distributed* version
control system, git, and time stamps are not important, as far as I
understand it.

Sure, in our case there are "central" repositories to which all
developers push their changes, and from which they pull changes by
others. But that is just our convention. And still, time stamps don't
necessarily make much sense. All repositories in principle are equal,
and there is no hierarchy in a strict sense (except by convention).

Would you be interested in the time stamp when a change was committed
to the developer's local repository? Or when it was pushed to our
"central" repository? Or when it was pulled from there into the build
machine's repository?

I am not a git expert at all, but the above is my understanding...
that time stamps in git are informational only and can and should not
be used to say if something happened "before" something else, for
instance. (Indeed, when you push commits from your local clone, which
might be several days old, they just get appended after newer commits
already in the remote repo.)

Anyway, you can check the git logs at
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/ . It's easy for the
"master" branch where all the code is in a single repository, "core".
For the 3-4 branch, we use several repositories. The Java 1.7
recognising code we are talking about in this thread in is in the
"ure" repository,
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/ure/?h=libreoffice-3-4

> There isn't a 3.4.5 branch yet so I assume this can be tested on the master?

Well, master is quite far from the liboreoffice-3-4 branch.

> The latest Win daily is from Dec 7th so it probably doesn't
> include that fix?

That change has been in master for a long time.

--tml