[Libreoffice-qa] (no subject)

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Fri Dec 23 02:00:22 PST 2011

John Notminsk píše v Čt 22. 12. 2011 v 23:58 -0800:
> Thanks for your response.
> I sent this in response to your press release of a bug day (which is where I got the address).
>
> Note:
> #1, 2, 3c occur 100% of the time

Sounds promising.

> #3a occurs ~80%, esp if the changes are more extensive
> #3b occurs ~50% of time.

I am afraid that there is small chance to fix these two if we do not get
a good way to reproduce.

> I won't send a bug report.  I did that to OO before LO even existed.
>  It was very difficult esp since I block cookies & use NoScript.  I had
>  to subscribe & then got 30-50 emails a day on totally unrelated topics
>  until I unsubscribed

Where did you report the bugs? Into the issuezilla or a mailing list? If
you subscribe a mailing list, you get many mails from other people on
different subjects because this is what mailing list is for. If you make
account in bugzilla, you should just get mails only about bugs that you
reported or where you are in CC. Also, you could configure what mails
you want to get from bugzilla.

>  but never a response on the bugs.  I have managed
>  works arounds, like cutting & pasting, not added rows, etc.

I can't promise that any developer will take care of your bugs. Any
living software project has more bugs reported than developers are able
to fix. It depends on the importance and complexity of the fix.

In each case, bugzilla is the right tool for tracking bugs. It stores
all comments and history on one page. Anyone could find the bug later
and easily see what is going on.

On the other hand mails are bad for this purpose. If you use top-post,
you see the history in opposite order (original message on the bottom,
last reply on top). If you use inline-answers, you lost some deleted
text. In each case, such mails are hard to read after few replies. In
addition, you lose attachments, so if you add anyone into CC, she does
not see everything.

Everything goes worse, when you solve more bugs in one thread.

Finally, people read mailing list archive only when they are looking for
an older mail. If you send a request there, it is either solved
immediately, or forgotten after few days or weeks.

On the other hand, the bug is visible in bugzilla until it is marked as
fixed. There are people who review them, try to reproduce them, set
correct severity and priority.

All in all, bugzilla gives much bigger chance to get a bug fixed.

> I am notifying you just in case you wish to improve your product, win
>  converts, etc (maybe make a dent in MS).  If you're interested, I
>  could send you other bugs & suggestions (I have been using OO for ~10
>  years in my business).  If not, no problem.

Thanks for the report. I hope that you will reconsider your decision and
will report them into bugzilla at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/ :-)

> PS Consider a phone app to read .odt files.  None exist ("File App"
>  works poorly at best).  You might even make some money.

Some people are already working on Android and iOS ports of LibreOffice.

Best Regards,
Petr