[Libreoffice-qa] automated testing of Base

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Oct 5 03:34:51 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 10:33 +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> > Locally installed databases raise questions, and the only
> > answers that come to mind boil down to a poor man's
> > substitute for an ODBC data source plus a driver manager
> > plus who-knows-what.  Is there anything here worth thinking
> > about?
>
> I've wondered about e.g. using virtual box appliance's. Install Linux
> under vbox, stick pre-installed postgres, mysql whatever else is
> possible, onto it with pre configured databases of test data.

	Ah ! good point, in which case we should use openqa:

	http://openqa.opensuse.org/

	The basic idea is to use a KVM virtual machine, and to do damage / OCR
on the screen, to allow keyboard input and validation of the results.

	We currently use it to test our bare-metal openSUSE install flow, and
to provide time-lapse videos of that - it's rather sexy really ;-)
checkout:

http://openqa.opensuse.org/opensuse/video/openSUSE-DVD-x86_64-Build0319-gnome.ogv

	All done headless, with no manual input anywhere near, and (IIRC) the
ability to suspend a test just where it failed, to allow it to be
tweaked and continued later ;-)

	Bernhard would be the best guy to speak to wrt. more details and/or how
to get it setup. Bernhard - would we even have some spare hardware
cycles to host such tests ?

	Thanks,

		Michael.