[Libreoffice-qa] Bug report assistant - more design bits ...

Loic Dachary loic at dachary.org
Wed Sep 7 07:42:26 PDT 2011

On 09/06/2011 03:13 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Loic,
>
> On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 11:29 +0200, Loic Dachary wrote:
>> Of course I could make progress anyway and keep solving technical
>> details until the non technical questions are being worked on. However
>> I've experienced that doing so is likely to be a waste of time.
> 	I pinged Cloph & Thorsten about this - hopefully they can help out. I
> also took the liberty to explain in the attached document (what I think)
> will be a better flow for new-comers. I try to start by defining the
> target audience: someone new / clueless, and then defining the problem
> space - in terms of what a good bug report is (admittedly I'm not 100%
> sure I captured everything).
>
> 	I'm sure I missed some questions that could be used to infer Rainer's
> cunning keywords that he likes to use to categorise things but please do
> expand the doc: should prolly be in the wiki instead of course.

Hi,

I've been thinking about the bugzilla transparent sign in / sign up. I acknowledge this is an important factor to hide the complexity.
However, I've been unable to think of a way to hide it completly. If a user is already signed in and/or already has an account, hidding it
does not matter much. If a user never heard of bugzilla, it is nice to save him the trouble to face the bugzilla forms. But it is not possible
to enter a bug without being authenticated and signing up requires the validation of an email. I can't think of a way to circumvent the fact
that the user will receive a mail from bugzilla and that he will need to click it from his mail reader and then set a password and then validate
the form and then proceed to the login form.

Is the mandatory mail validation a site wide policy ? Or would it be possible to relax it for the libreoffice project ?

I'm sure we can hide this mail validation using complicated proxies behind the scene. But I'd rather be sure a trivial solution does not exist.

Cheers