[Libreoffice-qa] Office XP/2003, 2007/2010 formats import/export -- most used feature.

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Apr 23 08:17:15 PDT 2012

Hi there,

On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 19:04 +0530, dE . wrote:
> The MAB has been chaotic lately... actually it turned out that I didn't
> get a lot of mails and missed out a lot of comments following the LONG
> discussion in the bug... so sorry about that, I noticed them now.

	:-)

> What I've been trying to add to MAB are broken import/export
> features/regressions of Office XP/2003, 2007/2010 formats.

	While I disagree with your analysis of the use of ODF, I agree that
fixing interoperability bugs is important. Having said that, I'd really
like to keep the number of most annoying bugs really low.

> These bugs are more critical than a few crashes and I estimate there're
> ~200 bugs in LO's bugzilla alone.

	If there are more than about 20 open MAB (currently there are ~70) it
becomes extremely easy to miss the screamingly urgent bugs that this was
setup to track. If you add another 200 there, no-one wins and we just
destroy this valuable place to look for "real blockers" :-)

	There is some sort of near-zero-sum-game here, and hiding the signal in
a ton of noise is not a good idea. Worse - without developer input, what
looks to you like a simple "inter-operability bug" may in fact be a
substantial feature that needs a man month to implement, so serious care
is needed with these.

	Having said that, having a keyword for inter-operability problems, that
we track the queries of, and try to increase interest in could be rather
good. IIRC we had an interop whiteboard status at some stage ? and we
could track that.

	As a final thought - playing with the 'Most Annoying Bugs' is really
the pinacle of the QA effort :-) I'd suggest that for each person adding
or removing a bug from there, they also should do a handful of the more
vanilla work: checking and moving from UNCONFIRMED to a suitable state
eg. :-)

	Just my 2 cents,

		Michael.