[Libreoffice-qa] Fwd: [tdf-announce] The Document Foundation announces LibreOffice 3.6 with a wealth of new features and improvements

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Aug 13 02:36:27 PDT 2012

Hi Timur,

On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 12:16 +0200, Timur Gadzo wrote:
> I'm asking for EXPLANATION in the first post when will FIXES for bugs
> resolved in MAB 3.5 be included in LO 3.6 CODE.

	Ah ! sorry, I mis-understood :-) so the generic answer to:

		"when will XYZ bug be fixed ?"

	is that there is basically no answer to that question. That doesn't
mean the bug will not be fixed - far from it, but the timing is
uncertain. Take for example:


	Which is a pet-peeve of mine that I try to spend my spare (what there
is of it) time looking into. Unfortunately, finding the underlying cause
(almost certainly a memory corruption) is really not easy. Thus far we
have few-to-no traces with debug symbols enabled, it is really hard to
reproduce the problem, the valgrind runs we try to get hang before we
can reproduce the error ;-) etc. etc. When will that bug be fixed ?
that's really not clear to me. I would certainly not block any release
until that is so - badly as I want it fixed.

> > 	Sure - so a corporate user should be paying for L3 support via a local
> > partner - so they can have whatever bugs they want fixed when they want
> > them fixed :-)
> Can you please point me to the list of local partners and an
> explanation of support layers ? I didn't see it on the page.

	There is no such page (yet) - I hope one output of Italo's
certification initiative would be such a page. However - at the end of
the day you need someone with (perhaps a contracted out) ability to
actually fix bugs in the product.

> Although I don't think this can really work like this: pay local
> partner to fix all those MABs.

	It seems rather unlikely that commercial users suffer from -all- of the
MAB at once :-) one reason that many of them are still open is that
(thus far) our customers havn't reported the 3.5 MAB's as issues for
them - and (I assume) the same is true for others' customers for whom
they provide paid support. Usually, a customer has a few blockers that
hold up deployment, and they ask to have these few fixed, and we provide
them with a fixed build, and merge the fixes into LibreOffice.

> Finaly, I understand that there are bugs. I just want to switch to LO
> 3.6 only when all fixes from 3.5 branch are added to 3.6 branch, if I
> put it correctly. Is it already done with 3.6.0, or it will be done
> with 3.6.1, or...?

	All fixes from the 3.5 branch are already in the 3.6 branch (modulo a
small number of subsequent regressions); the way we develop is that we
commit fixes to master, and cherry-pick them back to 3.5. Since master
turns into 3.6 - it should have all the 3.5 fixes included, currently we
cherry-pick fixes from master to 3.5 and 3.6 where appropriate.

	I hope that helps ! thanks for your hard work in bugzilla, I'm sorry
that there are no hard dates for fixing bugs; I'd love to have a magic
wand to wave to fix bugs :-)

	All the best,


michael.meeks at suse.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot

More information about the Libreoffice-qa mailing list