[Libreoffice-qa] Moztrap, some questions

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Wed Aug 15 03:44:07 PDT 2012

Hi Yifan,

it is great that you found time to work on Moztrap again.

Yi Fan Jiang píše v St 15. 08. 2012 v 00:46 -0600:
> Let me go back a bit to Moztrap. As I ever mentioned two types of
> localization need to be concern:
>
>     1. UI localization of Moztrap buttons, navigators etc.
>
>     2. Test case l10n that allows people to translate existing test
> cases,
>     according to with testers will be able to understand them.

> The 1st point tightly depends on upstream framework update. It seems
> less important than the second one, I remember we used Litmus either
> without this before?

Yes, the UI localization is slightly less important because people do
the same actions over and over. We could describe it in the wiki.

> I guess the 2nd point is more emergent in our situation since the
> content of test cases should be standing understandable and suitable
> for language specific function coverage. Then people can immediately
> start to test without knowing much English.

yup

>  Noticed from the last mail, 2 workarounds come to my
> mind:
>
>     1. we do similar things what we did in Litmus that put all
>  language versions test case into a single one by mixed manner.

I like this because people see the translation out of box.

>     2. translate the test case in wiki and give the link back to
> Moztrap

I am afraid that it would be hard to maintain and too much clicking.

> it is possible we use the "Steps" to distinguish various language
> version of a test case. Here is what it possibly looks like the demo:
>
>     http://vm12.documentfoundation.org/runtests/run/21/env/631/

Hmm, the advantage is that you see everything in one place. The steps
are compact for one language.

The pity thing is that it does not use the nice Moztrap feature where
you see "Step" and "Expected Results" next to each other.

I wonder how it would look if we translate the steps, results inside
each box. I mean to a syntax like:

Step1:                                Result:
[en] launch Libreoffice Base          [en] the database application
                                           the database wizard opens
[fr] lancement LibreOffice Base       [fr] l'application de base de
                                           données apparaît, l'assistant
                                           base de données s'ouvre

Step2:
[en] enter a name for the database    [en] the dialog for "save and
     in the dialog box and click OK        proceed" appears
[fr] cochez la case [Créer une base   [fr] la boîte de dialogue pour
     de données], puis cliquez sur         "sauvegarder et passer"
     le bouton Suivant.                    apparaît

Of course, it will be harder to follow the steps because the description
will be longer but it should not be that bad. I think that we will have
only few translations in the beginning. I hope that Moztrap could
support translating relatively soon.

The big advantage is that it keeps the translations in sync with the
English original. Also it uses the "step/result" Moztrap feature => It
will be much easier to move the test cases into newer Moztrap that might
support translations. We will not need to rewrite the test cases during
such migration. Easy script will be enough to save the translations into
the right place.

Of course, this is only mine opinion. I wonder what say others that will
use Mozrap.

Best Regards,
Petr