[Libreoffice-qa] Moztrap, some questions

Yi Fan Jiang yfjiang at suse.com
Tue Aug 14 23:46:58 PDT 2012

Hi Sophie,

I agree with your point that the localization is important, while the function
and working process a tool is able to provide is also critical to meet our
goal, isn't it? :) Moztrap takes more advantage in the latter and it has an
activated development team. That's why I still believe it is worthy a bit of
thinking how to workaround the l10n solution in Moztrap.

If you are doing some research for some other tools or methods, I'll certainly
be here to support when a potential better tool or method appears in front of
us :)

Let me go back a bit to Moztrap. As I ever mentioned two types of localization
need to be concern:

    1. UI localization of Moztrap buttons, navigators etc.

    2. Test case l10n that allows people to translate existing test cases,
    according to with testers will be able to understand them.

The 1st point tightly depends on upstream framework update, I might be able to
help out to implement it in future if we reach common sense with upstream. But
it seems less important than the second one, I remember we used Litmus either
without this before?

I guess the 2nd point is more emergent in our situation since the content of
test cases should be standing understandable and suitable for language
specific function coverage. Then people can immediately start to test without
knowing much English. Noticed from the last mail, 2 workarounds come to my
mind:

    1. we do similar things what we did in Litmus that put all language
    versions test case into a single one by mixed manner.

    2. translate the test case in wiki and give the link back to Moztrap

Now I am expanding more about the first workaround. Through the split "Step"
concept in Moztrap together with a nice feature I just found that test case
steps/expected pair is "Markdown" syntax supported
(http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#list), a new
idea comes to my mind that it is possible we use the "Steps" to distinguish
various language version of a test case. Here is what it possibly looks like
the demo:

    http://vm12.documentfoundation.org/runtests/run/21/env/631/

Concretely, for one particular language, we may put a real life test case
steps and expected results into one single row of Moztrap step/expected
box. Each Moztrap step would represent a full description of the detailed test
content in one language.

For creating a readable format of each steps, we can use pretty simple
Markdown language. Basically the content in the demo was populated in the text
(with a bit markdown rules) as:

-------------------------------><--------------------------------------------
Test that creating a new database - case 1

    When in English
    ===============
    * launch Libreoffice Base (vp1)
    * enter a name for the database in the dialog box and click OK (vp4)
    Then in English
    ===============
    1. the database application appears, the database wizard opens
    2. the dialog for "save and proceed" appears

    When in French
    ==============
    * lancement LibreOffice Base (vp1)
    * cochez la case [Créer une base de données], puis cliquez sur le bouton Suivant. (vp2)
    Then in French
    ==============
    1. l'application de base de données apparaît, l'assistant base de données s'ouvre
    2. la boîte de dialogue pour "sauvegarder et passer" apparaît

Test that creating a new database - case 2

    When in English
    ===============
    ..

    Then in English
    ===============
    ..

    When in French
    ==============
    ..

    Then in French
    ==============
    ..

In addition, for more concept of Moztrap, the official manual is helpful:

    http://moztrap.readthedocs.org/en/1.0.X/userguide/index.html

Also I am on my way updating Moztrap wiki pages this week:

    https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Moztrap
    https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Moztrap/Moztrap_User_Guide

--
  Yifan Jiang