[Libreoffice-qa] Moztrap, some questions

Sophie Gautier gautier.sophie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 07:29:10 PDT 2012

Hi Bjoern,
  15/08/2012 15:20, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 02:29:53PM +0200, Sophie Gautier wrote:
>> Imho, that won't work for two reasons:
>> - behavior is not the same in every language and testing may
>> differ/be adapted depending on the local
>
> In that case it is even more important that the testcase describe _all_ the
> information for _all_ locales, otherwise there will be a terrible mess with
> conflicting feedback (e.g. english testers reporting its fine, french reporter
> reporting it is broken, both thinking they are testing the same thing).
>
> Such a testcase _must_ contain the whole behaviour for all locales, e.g.:
>
> 1) Open libreoffice
> Note: In the low german localization, you are required to mumble "Moin" while
> doing that.

it's not necessary, the people from the team who reports a misbehavior
is aware of the difference between EN and his language. This is one of
the first thing you check when you are testing a local environment,
you've got it in both language every time. And for example, I don't care
how it behaves in German or when using CJK, etc. If it happens that
there is a real strange thing, we speak together with the other language
teams (the reason of the request for a dedicated list) and try to sort
out a real bug or a problem with the test, just as we do with l10n.

>> - UI strings are not the same due to localization, and we are also
>> QAing our l10n when we do those tests in our language
>
> Thats also easily amended/clarified in cases were the autotranslation does fail.
> Also I dont think we want to hardcode the expected translations in the
> testcases -- that makes no sense at all (as that hardcoding is just as likely,
> if not more so, to be wrong or outdated as the product).

Checking/understanding the google autotranslation takes more time than
doing it straight ;)

Kind regards
Sophie