[Libreoffice-qa] Fwd: Re: Closing NEEDINFO bugs

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Aug 20 03:46:03 PDT 2012

Hi Alex,

On Sun, 2012-08-19 at 22:14 +0200, Alex Thurgood wrote:
> My own personal take on this is that if you guys want to regularly
> schmeiss out bug reports that someone else has happened to sweepingly
> set as NEEDINFO, then I'm wasting my time here in QA.

	I agree that the situation was -really- non-ideal here; though I
understand the technical reasons for it.

	My expectation is that there will be no more sweeping setting of bugs
to the NEEDINFO state and closing of them like this. Though of course,
trawling a (now much smaller) set of NEEDINFO bugs to find those that
have not been responded to for some long time makes some sense -
hopefully if that set is small enough it can be done manually (?).

	Then again - how to handle very old bugs vs. very old versions is
unclear to me; I assume in future we will still need some effective way
to ask reporters to re-test their bug vs. a later version.

	Given our unusual use of the 'version' field, I have no idea how we can
efficiently detect such bugs; but perhaps there is a plan ? ;-)

	Anyhow - I'm sorry it caused so much grief; thanks for sharing that - I
assume the experience will lead to deeper thought & discussion in the
future :-)

	ATB,

		Michael.