[Libreoffice-qa] Fwd: Re: Closing NEEDINFO bugs

Florian Reisinger reisi007 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 04:03:40 PDT 2012

Hi everyone!

__
Florian Reisinger

Von meinem iPad gesendet
Sent via iPad

Am 20.08.2012 um 13:45 schrieb Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com>:

> Hi Alex,
>
> On Sun, 2012-08-19 at 22:14 +0200, Alex Thurgood wrote:
>> My own personal take on this is that if you guys want to regularly
>> schmeiss out bug reports that someone else has happened to sweepingly
>> set as NEEDINFO, then I'm wasting my time here in QA.
>
>    I agree that the situation was -really- non-ideal here; though I
> understand the technical reasons for it.
>
>    My expectation is that there will be no more sweeping setting of bugs
> to the NEEDINFO state and closing of them like this. Though of course,
> trawling a (now much smaller) set of NEEDINFO bugs to find those that
> have not been responded to for some long time makes some sense -
> hopefully if that set is small enough it can be done manually (?).

hmm, does that really make sense? I am working through, lets say, 20
LT NEEDINFO bugs.

Let's say 10% answer (more than this time...): 2 bugs are "saved"...
AND I wasted my time...

Current scenario was: 899 bugs were at the status. (The following
argument is also valid for less number of bugs). ~9% responded ~72
bugs. I could check 827 other bugs, like UNCONFIRMED bugs, when I
walked through manually.

> [...]
>
>    Given our unusual use of the 'version' field, I have no idea how we can
> efficiently detect such bugs; but perhaps there is a plan ? ;-)

I think I have one... We could use the status "pleasetest". Also it
would be politer to set the status to "PLEASETEST" and add something
like "cnb0812" to the whiteboard...

>    Anyhow - I'm sorry it caused so much grief; thanks for sharing that - I
> assume the experience will lead to deeper thought & discussion in the
> future :-)

We never stop learning ;)