[Libreoffice-qa] Bugs prioritization - missing pieces

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Mon Aug 20 05:59:38 PDT 2012

Rainer Bielefeld píše v Po 20. 08. 2012 v 13:21 +0200:
> Petr Mladek schrieb:
>
> > I think that we really should set severity and priority.
>

> Hi Petr,
>
> a while ago we decided that we should not invest too much time into this
> because of numerous abuse of these flags.

It was during times when we had 2 or three people doing bug triage. The
list of non-triaged bugs was growing.

I think that we are in a different position now. We have more very
active triagers. They have ambitions to end up with zero non-triaged
bugs. They put a lot of energy into reproducing bugs, getting
backtraces, ... Though, bugzilla is still a kind of swamp and only the
very critical bugs are highlighted for developers. IMHO, it is a shame.
I think that full prioritization would be a big win. It would allow to
get rid of the schizophrenic MAB, moving bugs between MABs, ... Of
course, it makes only sense if we have resources to triage all bugs. I
believe that we have now.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/0/06/Prioritizing_Bugs_Flowchart.jpg
>  can be a very good base (although
> believe it's a little too rich in detail).

I think that we should add more examples. Do you miss anything else?

> I suggest something like
>
> Use:
> * Blocker if it's definitively "Critical" and
>    additionally ....
> * Critical if it's criteria for "Major" is fulfilled and
>    additionally ....

Hmm, this is reverted logic against the flowchart. I am not sure how to
convert it.

Note that the flowchart describes also priorities => more complex task.
It is still pretty readable and understandable. I am not sure if we
could achieve this by itemized list.

Well, it is possible that you do not like the system described in the
chart. You might want to do the decision another way. Let's discuss it.

> I can put it into the line, but if someone else is interested, he should
> start to improve chapter on Bug Report Details.

I would prefer to improve the Joel's chart. It is sexy and easier to
understand than a long text.

Best Regards,
Petr