[Libreoffice-qa] NEEDINFO Status

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Mon Aug 27 03:58:14 PDT 2012

Rainer Bielefeld píše v So 25. 08. 2012 v 11:30 +0200:
> Joel Madero schrieb:
>
> > when we actually put a bug into NEEDINFO status we put a comment that
> > has a small blurb on our procedure. Something like "we have put this bug
> > in NEEDINFO status because we need you to provide.....we will leave the
> > bug in this status for 6 months

> I recommend that we agree to a standard sentence like "This bug will be
> closed after 14 days if requested information will not be provided.
> Additional information concerning the reasons for this proceeding and
> how you can reopen this Bug you can find at <jttp://...Wiki...>" , to be
> inserted by copy /paste from Wiki.

I appreciate you carefulness and sense for details. Well, I am still not
convinced that we need to warn people before. I understand the point but
it has some drawbacks:

   + reporters might get angry that we force them to answer within 30
     days and then do not fix bug several months; and we are not able to
     fix all 5000 bugs within one month

   + the standard message is yet another thing that bug triagers
     should memorize; it makes the process more complicated and harder
     to learn

   + it is another message that makes the report longer and harder to
     read

I still thing that the best solution would be to "tune" the closing
message. It has to be short, explanatory, friendly, encouraging. I
suggest something like:

"We would like to solve this bug but nobody has provided the requested
information during last 30 days. We can't move forward and close this
bug for now. Feel free to reopen it together with the needed details."

This can be done "automatically", so nobody need to memorize it.

Best Regards,
Petr