[Libreoffice-qa] 4.0 Test week/marathon Re: [...-qa] 3.7 bug hunt party ?

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Tue Dec 4 02:23:34 PST 2012

Dan Lewis píše v Po 03. 12. 2012 v 13:28 -0500:

> > On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Petr Mladek <pmladek at suse.cz> wrote:

> > I'd be able to participate off and on. My wife's and my birthday
> > falls in that range as well as of course Christmas stuff and a few
> > other things.

You need not test all the week. Few hours are perfectly fine :-)

> > I want to learn how to do these random tests, any pointers? I'll
> > also be triaging throughout this week and focusing on bugs reported
> > against Version 4 master/alpha

Yup. We need people focusing on bug triage as well. I expect that there
will be more bugs that will need handling during this week.

>      Random tests: I could use some pointers as well. My "specialty"
> is Base. I noticed that there are only 3 random test for it, and all
> of them had locks. Seems to me that there should be more than 3. There
> is the creation of a database from beginning to end. What about
> modifying an existing database? What about connecting to a database
> such as MySQL, HSQLDB, text, spreadsheet, etc.?

We are looking for more volunteers who could create useful test cases,
see http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Testing/Test_Case . Do not be
afraid to create test cases for even more specific tasks. Just create
account at http://vm12.documentfoundation.org [*] and ask Yi Fan to get
permissions to write test cases.

Otherwise, you need not follow any written test cases. You could just
play with the application. A very good test is to use it for a real
work. Well, you need to be careful, safe often into different file
names, be prepared for loosing some work ;-)

The written test cases help to reduce duplicated work. They might be
more systematic. Also we know what was tested.

The independent testing might help to test more areas and scenarios,
especially when we have only few test cases at this stage.

[*]: We are going to use http://manual-test.libreoffice.org instead of
http://vm12.documentfoundation.org . I hope that it will happen later
this week.

Best Regards,