[Libreoffice-qa] Impress bug

Dan Lewis elderdanlewis at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 05:17:10 PST 2012

On 12/15/2012 06:43 AM, Karl Leo wrote:
> Dear friends,
> I have recently switched from Windows to Linux and, sadly, the
> programme which might force me (a very frequent presenter) back to
> Windows will be Libreoffice Impress - for two reasons:
> a) it crashes way too often...
> b) It has a nasty bug which makes it for me as employee of the
> Fraunhofer society (Germany's largest research organization with over
> 20.000 employees) difficult to work with: It cannot even render the
> logo of the Fraunhofer society correctly (see enclosed file)
>
> I am therefore really happy that many volunteers try to improve LO
> 4.0. I could not contribute so far because on my computer (thinkpad
> T400s with Ubuntu 12.04.1), LO 4.0.0 crashes at startup...
> Therefore, I am not sure if the mentioned bug has been fixed, if so; I
> apologize.
>
> Keep up your great work and thanks a lot!
>
> Best regards
> Karl
      Attached are screen shots of the Fraunhofer logo I took using LO
4.0. One was on a 32 bit laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with 2 GB RAM
and the other on a 64 bit tower with 2 GB of RAM and the 64 bit Ubuntu
12.04 LTS. Are these showing the proper logo?
      In both cases, I use these settings (Tools > Options > LOdev): 20
steps; Use for LOdev, 255 MB; Memory per object, 2 MB; Remove from
memory after, 1:00; and Number of objects, 252. For Impress because of
the number of graphics, perhaps these settings rather than the default
ones should be used.
      The tower opened the presentation with no problems. The laptop
took much longer to open.
      Additional tests using one of my presentations (1.3MB): The tower
opens it with no problems. However, LO 3.5.7 and 3.6.4.3 (downloaded
from the website) on the laptop will not open it. I also have the Ubuntu
version of LO 3.5.4, and it opens the presentation. So, this bug is not
only a serious problem on 32bit computers, but also something that has
been around for a while that no one has reported.

--Dan