[Libreoffice-qa] Minutes - QA related - TSC call 2012-01-26

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 04:40:32 PST 2012

Hi Petr, all

Petr Mladek wrote

>> More intensive testing is not the problem. Your TSC summary shows there
>> are
>> still 80 regressions. At a rate of 1 fix per day that would take over 2.5
>> months.
>
> I agree that regressions are bad and might discourage some users. On the
> other hand If am not sure about the priorities. Some regressions are are
> in rarely used functionality. Bugs in more widely used/visible
> functionality might have higher priority.

I have been wondering about this. Obviously more widely used features are
reported immediately and are reported sooner. But those obvious problems
don't worry me too much.

It's the little things that are left behind and the small bugs that nobody
cares to fix that are degradating LO.

According to TDF, there were 9 million Windows downloads. How many reports
are there for Windows bugs? Millions? Thousands? Hundreds?

Most Windows users are comparing LO to their (legal or illegal) copy of MS
Office. So that makes them a tougher audience. If TDF's goal is to get
people to switch from a proprietary program and file format, LO has to be
*at least* as good as the competition.

People give LO a try and the minute they find something that doesn't work as
they expect, they just give up.

I think that is why many problems are not reported. It's not that the
regressions are rarely used. They are rarely reported.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW version 3.5.0. is already out
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/LibreOffice-for-Windows/1288723415/1?all_reviews

Regards,