[Libreoffice-qa] Minutes - QA related - TSC call 2012-01-26

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 08:30:40 PST 2012

Hi Rainer, all

Rainer Bielefeld-2 wrote

> If we could do more intensive Master testing to find regressions very soon
> after they appeared might ease that.
>
> Activity concerning regression fixing increased during last year, and in
> 2012 currently we also have approximately 1 regression fix per day.

More intensive testing is not the problem. Your TSC summary shows there are
still 80 regressions. At a rate of 1 fix per day that would take over 2.5
months.

The problem is that there is a new release each month (sometimes 2 releases
in the same month)
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan

It is reasonable to expect that these new builds will have more features
(especially the 3.6.x) so new bugs and new regressions will be added...

And since for each pre-release period, which happens monthly, the priority
are the blockers, regressions will tend to accumulate and overall quality to
decrease as mentioned by Nino on this topic (I agree with him)
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Libreoffice-qa-preparing-QA-talk-for-FOSDEM-tp3691881p3691881.html

So, again, I think that as boring as it might be for the devs, they should
concentrate on the regressions...

I am well aware that this is a voluntary project and that everyone has the
freedom to do whatever they feel like... but as a project that doesn't seem
to work (especially with such an ambitious release schedule). IMO you can't
be free and ambitious...

Regards,
Pedro