[Libreoffice-qa] Insulting comments in bug reports: what should we do?

Alex Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 13:09:11 PDT 2012

On 07/15/2012 05:51 PM, Roman Eisele wrote:

Dear Roman,

> In this comment, Urmas <davian818 at gmail.com> wrote:

> First I wanted to write to Urmas, but I then I wanted to ask you first
> what you all think what we should do. It is always difficult to built a
> working QA community, but easy to disturb or even to distroy it by such
> comments. Again: what do you think?

This is not an isolated incident from that person, and I was beginning
to wonder myself whether he/she had other issues which might be coming
to the surface through the comments made. Most of the ones I have seen
from this person could be interpreted as highly aggressive and, yes, I
would agree that some, especially the initial bug reporter, might take
offence.

What might be done, however, is a difficult question to answer : perhaps
a friendly and encouraging word from others here, reminding him/her that
this is a community and that as such we are ultimately trying to help
people and determine, at least for the bug triaging process, whether the
reported behaviour is indeed a bug. I would also agree that personal
attacks are unwarranted, on other lists and forums, a person could be
banned for that outright by the admins or moderators.

I still feel it better to contact person directly, to try and understand
why there is such apparent animosity, especially since we know nothing
of their circumstances, and it is rather unfair to talk about what we
should do in their absence (unless he/she is following this list).

I have a concern, however, that approaching Urmas in the gentle way
might just lead to more trolling which would ultimately get us nowhere...

Alex