[Libreoffice-qa] New Bugzilla Version Picker items – 2

Rainer Bielefeld LibreOffice at bielefeldundbuss.de
Thu Jun 7 03:11:24 PDT 2012

Petr Mladek schrieb:

> Well, it looks a bit ugly. In addition, we can't mention "rc" because it
> must not appear in the final build.

H Petr,

thank you for your detailled comment. I will have to check all details
later, here some first thoughts:

"rc" should not appear in Help/About", that's an additional info added
to Bugzilla Version like "Master".

> Could we use the same scheme also in bugzilla? I mean:
>
>     3.5.98.1 (3.6.0alpha1)
>     3.5.98.1+ (3.6.0alpha1+daily)
>     3.5.99.1 (3.6.0beta1)
>     3.6.0.1 (3.6.0rc1)

Yes, a big advantage would be if we coud rework the scheme a little so
that the version number is more or less in accordance with the timeline.
Currently I do not understand "3.5.99.1 (3.6.0beta1)". If that is
Mozilla intention I would prefer something like

3.6.0.00x  for alphas
3.6.0.0x0  for betas
3.6.0.100 for RC (example) and/or  release
3.6.0.200 for RC (example) and/or  release
3.6.0.200 for release(example)

Only a first thought

But generally we can think about making that "alpha" and "beta" also an
"additional information" (No problem if it additinally is in Help/About)
and make a "w.x.yy.zz" Numbering scheme the main information (also
readable for Bug Submission Assistant)

A Very bad thing is that we can not search the Bugzilla Bug picker for a
Version copied from Help about, and so currently something like
"3.5.99.1" might be more fault-prone than a "3.6.0beta1" for transfer /
selection by human beings. But I believe that is a base for further
thougts, and the priority should be a logic Version sheme in "Help
About", Bugzilla pickers will have to follow (somehow).

> I think that we do not need to care that much about 3.4 and 3.5 betas;
> they are dead anyway.

I would like to have 3.5 and 3.6 in the correct scheme, for 3.3 and 3.4
I currently want to leave the Bugzilla versions more or less as they
are, only stripping the leading "LibO "

Best regards

Rainer