[Libreoffice-qa] Make use of your karma - feel free to retag/edit posts (Fwd: Q&A forum feedback)

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 2 04:09:33 PST 2012

Hi Pedro, *,

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Pedro <pedlino at gmail.com> wrote:
> Christian Lohmaier-3 wrote
>>
>> [...] and make use of your votes (so that other
>> people get their karma, and to make it easier to distinguish
>> "good/interesting" and "waste-of-time" questions :-)
>
> Unfortunately the karma points in askbot are unrealistic (not to say
> useless).

No, they are not. It would be pointless if you could gain moderator
powers within two days of spamming askbot. Karma is not a one-shot
thing. And yes, LibreOffice askbot-instance did not start in bootstrap
mode with reduced karma, but started off with using the
default/producition limits. (So I understand that people think that
the limits are high)

> Not even you have enough karma points to do what you are asking
> others to help with.

Of course I have - and you have so too. Since the main way to get
karma is to use your votes. People don't have karma, because people
don't make use of their votes and don't make use of flagging an answer
as correct. So it it a learning process into getting to know how the
platform works.
Changing it the other way round will not be done. Then the karma-stuff
would be useless and we would have a lot more administrational effort.
Similar with spam - just flag it as inappropriate and it will be
hidden from other users after a couple of different people did so.

Becoming a moderator starts with understanding how the platform works,
and that is mainly by using your votes freely, giving answeres that
are upvoted, flagged as correct. People with enough karma are
automatically qualified by the process of earning their karmapoints.

And if you're a TDF-member and want to have moderator-level karma,
feel free to ping the website list (or me personally) then I'll pull
some karma out-of-the-sky for your account.

> http://ask.libreoffice.org/faq/
>
> This means that only admins can do that. So it doesn't make sense to ask for
> help and referring to karma points.

Maybe my post was misleading - The reason why I posted to the list is
to make people use their votes, ask for comments, etc. So yes - so far
there are no "moderators-by-earnt-karma", only
moderators-because-admin. But that only was a part of the post.

> BTW I sent another email through the "Give Feedback" form on Feb 23rd
> precisely about karma points.

F*k - I wrote a reply, but forgot to include you... Sorry for that,
will resend and make sure to double-check next time.
(email of person who asked is not included in reply-to, but only in
the message text - I'm so used to only reply-to that I missed that
you're not included in the list of addressees.

> I never received a copy of my sent email (I assume you rejected my previous
> suggestion of enabling the form to send a copy to the author)

Yes, I regard it as pointless. If you want a copy for your own
records, send mail to the website list directly. After all it will
reach the same group of people (+ a couple more)

You receiving a copy will not prevent me from making mistakes when
answering, so...

When not receiving a reply, you need to resend/ping people anyway, no
matter whether you did receive a copy or not.

> and I haven't
> received an answer yet.

Did forward you the reply now. Sorry again.

ciao
Christian