[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of the LibreOffice QA call 2012-03-23 15:00UTC

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Sat Mar 24 16:34:22 PDT 2012

Hi all,

here are the minutes of the qa call on 2012-03-23 15:00 UTC:

attendants: Cor, Rainer, Markus, Petr, Kendy, Bjoern

 * pending action items
  - Check if test documents are URLs properly distributed to Checkbox (Bjoern)
  - Update/Create active triagers wiki page (Cor/Rainer)
  - Publish Rainers charts'n data on blog/planets (Cor)
  - collect further ideas for spending a dedicated resource (Cor/Rainer)
    -> blocked: to get a concise list need to make a CaseConductor/Litmus
  - Set Cor up with the Community/Forum maintainers at the distros
    to better propagate Hackfests, Bug Hunting Sessions etc.
    (Petr, Caolan, others?)
  - Walkthrough setup at Hackfest to find out what need better docs
  - Setting up a ready-to-go VirtualBox with everything installed would be
    cool (Bjoern/Korrawit?)
  - automated test docs: really straightforward for Calc, just needs more
    CSV test documents (all)

 * completed action items
  - copypaste existing manual tests a one off for 3.5/Precise
    -> done by Nicholas Skaggs and Kaldor from the Ubuntu community. Kudos!
  - Provide Cor with suitable queries as possible with current means (Rainer)
  - Create some QA EasyHacks (Bjoern)
  - Set Cor up with the Community/Forum maintainers at the distros
    to better propagate Hackfests, Bug Hunting Sessions etc.

 * structured manual testing: (Yifan, Rimas, Bjoern)
   - Litmus to Checkbox done for 3.5 (Nicholas Skaggs)
   - we should also tap into the l10n testers, it might be worthwhile to get
     them into not only testing l10n but also functionality along the way (Cor)
   - OpenID for Litmus would be awesome
   - ... but Litmus EOL at Mozilla, however CaseConductor (the replacement)
     might not suit our needs/be an overkill
AA - needs serious investigation if CaseConductor suits us or if its
     awesome for Mozilla but not for our usecase (Pedro)
   - Litmus proposal at:
     (If we greenlight that, it spawns a lot of action items ;) )
     - essentially means devs drop oneliners with affected area for commits
       along with review requests to the list (Bjoern)
     - Devs are already overcommited with their current tasks (Petr)
     - QA even more so given their current resources (Cor)
     - whatever form of communication/workflow we set up, we should trying it
       on the release branch first, becaus of commit volume (Bjoern)
     - this info really should be in the commit messages (Petr/Kendy?)
     - otherwise we should make it a custom for devs to CC the QA-list as we
       do with ux-advise, which works reasonably well (Petr)
AA   - propose proactive QA-list CCing on ESC (Bjoern)
     - as long as Litmus is not easily accessable this is pretty much in vain
     - alternative: Wiki or Blog instead of Litmus?
     - Blog, not Wiki (broader audiences) (Kendy?)
AA   - Blog regularly about affected areas with call for testing (Cor/Bjoern?)

 * bugwrangling (Rainer)
   - we are missing queries counting comments and not only reports (Cor)
     -> possible task
   - OpenID for bugzilla would be awesome
   - 3.4.6 release testing
     - few reports, but focus likely shifted to 3.5 (Rainer)
AA   - provide Cor with dl numbers so we can confirm this (Petr)
   - 3.5 status
     - good progress (Rainer)
     - more windows build would be good (Rainer)
     - new Prague tinderbox should solve that (Kendy?)
   - release plan discussion redux
     - skipped, conclusion on list discussion suggested to be no urgent need
       for "fixing"

 * community building/communication (Cor)
   - https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Easy_Hacks
   - some critic about the blunt invitation to join QA on the BSA (Rainer)
     - the QA wiki page not a good entry point (Rainer)
       (no concrete actionable tasks there)
     - we need competent QA, not just anyone (Rainer)
     - we should work on two levels, with different approaches: (Bjoern)
       - newcomers
       - good current contributors on bugzilla
     - maybe concentrate on exactly _one_ easy to communicate task for
       starters as landing page after BSA: bug confirmation (Bjoern)
AA   - create a newbie-friendly wiki-page just about bug confirmation (Rainer)
   - good current contributors should be motivated/encouraged
AA   - kindly ask them to introduce themselves on the QA-list or even blog
       about (both developer interview style) (Cor/Bjoern)
AA - link to ask.libreoffice.org from get-help on the frontpage

 * automated calc testing (Markus)
AA - provide some examples what scope a 'feature' is to get people an idea
     https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47667 (Markus)
AA - invite a broad audience (and endusers) to provide testdocs there (all)

 * bibisect for 3.5 (Caolan hinted at that)
   - postponed to the next call

 * next call: will be at 1400UTC (one hour earlier because of summertime)
   2012-04-06 1400UTC

Accompanying IRC channel for the calls is #libreoffice on freenode.

Because of some interfering tasks I couldnt write down the minutes right after
the call, thus all additions and corrections are most welcome.

More information about the Libreoffice-qa mailing list