[Libreoffice-qa] EasyHack tags

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu Mar 29 10:13:41 PDT 2012

Hi Rainer,

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 06:38:59PM +0200, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
> I have a question / suggestion concerning EasyHack tags. I do not
> know whether there has been an agreement, and the Wiki is some
> wishy-washy

We should clarify that then.

> I would prefer a standard that "ProposedEasyHack" is for the
> Wihiteboard, and a developer deletes that and adds "EasyHack" to the
> summary line.

I dont think that is a good idea. Distributing this info over multiple places
is bad, and people will mimic the "EasyHack" subject really fast bypassing the
basic checking by a dev.

> That would ease Bugzilla queries
> ("EasyHack"/"ProposedEasyHack" can't be distinguished easily (I
> doubt that many users know how to use regular expressions, and it's
> grinding), and currently we have some hodge podge:

Oh, you dont need RegExps for that. Just use "contains any of the words"
instead of "contains any of the strings". But if we still want to make it
clearly differentiatable, we should rename the "ProposedEasyHack" tag to
"ProposedEH" or something like that. But maybe just using the "word" match of
bugzilla is already enough?

> 206 Bugs with "EasyHack*" in Summary AND Whiteboard [1]
>     I believe that doubling is not useful
>
> 004  Bugs with "EasyHack*" in Summary AND "ProposedEasyHack"
>      in Whiteboard
>
> 050 Bugs with "ProposedEasyHack" in Whiteboard
>
> 005 Bugs with "ProposedEasyHack" in Summary

If we want to clean that up, IMHO we should keep the "EasyHack" out of the
subject as in fact it is not something on the subject, but actually a tag. OTOH
I dont think it to be hurting too much, if it is duplicated there.

> May be someone with knowledge how the Wiki HeasyHack list tricks
> work can add a guideline to unify the usage on
> <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks>?

Currently the lists on the wiki are including the proposed easy hacks, maybe we
should change them to only including the "real" ones?

I dont think many people interested in EasyHacks will tweak around them with
their own queries. Most will likely just scan over the lists on the wiki.
Having the tags around is something that is useful for _us_ to fill and
administrate the EasyHack lists, but not something EasyHackers are using.

Best,

Bjoern