[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Sat Nov 24 02:40:27 PST 2012

On 11/23/2012 03:23 PM, Pedro wrote:
> Stephan Bergmann-2 wrote
>> What is rather missing, IIUC, is that LOdev builds do not try to migrate
>> user data from existing LibreOffice builds, right?
>
> That would be really nice :) But then the Dev installer should have a
> setting to *optionally* import the settings.
> Many times it is important to test with a fresh untouched profile, while
> others it is good to test if your current options are correctly imported (or
> simply to assess what is lost...)

Whether a given installation should try to migrate from certain existing
user profiles, should start with a fresh user profile of its own, should
reuse some existing user profile, etc., certainly varies depending on
what you want to do/test with that installation.

Given that testing migration from existing user profiles generally
requires manual activity anyway (to remove potentially existing MIGRATED
flag files from existing user profiles), I wonder whether it would not
make most sense to drop LOdev's special handling of user profiles and
instead educate people on how to manually set up an installation's user
profile behavior to suit their specific needs:

* If the installation should use a private user profile of its own,
adapt the UserInstallation URL in the bootstrap ini-file to point to
some private location.

* If the installation should test migration of existing old profiles,
remove any existing MIGRATED flag files from old profiles.

* ...

Stephan