[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 02:23:08 PST 2012

On 11/28/2012 10:40 AM, Cor Nouws wrote:
> Stephan Bergmann wrote (24-11-12 11:40)
>
>> Whether a given installation should try to migrate from certain existing
>> user profiles, should start with a fresh user profile of its own, should
>> reuse some existing user profile, etc., certainly varies depending on
>> what you want to do/test with that installation.
>
> ok... but as we have very clear from the above, there is a difference
> between LOdevs for a minor/micro and those for a major release.

Yes, "should reuse some existing user profile" was meant to cover cases
where a LO/LOdev version N2 would use a user profile from a previous
LO/LOdev verison N1 <= N2.  Making an existing user profile from a
LO/LOdev version N2 available to a LO/LOdev version N1 < N2 is generally
problematic, esp. so if N1 = 3.x.x and N2 = 4.x.x.

>> Given that testing migration from existing user profiles generally
>
> (there is the other scenario beside migration ... see further below)
>
>> requires manual activity anyway (to remove potentially existing MIGRATED
>> flag files from existing user profiles), I wonder whether it would not
>> make most sense to drop LOdev's special handling of user profiles
>
> Special in the sense that is uses a special path?
> (Sorry, I missed that)

Yes.  (And I had -- erroneously? -- assumed that LOdev installations did
not store their user profiles centrally, at ~/.config/lodev etc., but
locally within the LOdev's installation tree, via a relative
UserInstallation URL in the bootstrap ini-file.)

>> and instead educate people on how to manually set up an installation's
>> user profile behavior to suit their specific needs:
>>
>> * If the installation should use a private user profile of its own,
>> adapt the UserInstallation URL in the bootstrap ini-file to point to
>> some private location.
>>
>> * If the installation should test migration of existing old profiles,
>> remove any existing MIGRATED flag files from old profiles.
>
> And in the case of a minor/micro release, another scenario is the re-use
> of the current user profile.
>
> And isn't this what is the point in the discussion, to provide an easy
> way (i.e UI) in those LOdevs to import the existing profile for testing
> minor/micro releases?

If LOdev versions indeed store their user profiles centrally (at
~/.config/lodev/{3,4} ? correct me if I'm wrong), then the scenario of
reusing an existing user profile from a previous LOdev version N1 in a
new LOdev version N2, where N2 >= N1 and N1 and N2 are either both 3.x.x
or both 4.x.x versions, is already covered by the easy case of requiring
no manual preparation.

Stephan