[Libreoffice-qa] Closing bugs in bugzilla: fixed in master or fixed everywhere?

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Wed Sep 5 01:46:24 PDT 2012

I'd like to check if maybe I misunderstood our bugzilla handling
standards.

I thought we close the bug when the fix is committed in all branches
where it should be, and that's what I was doing in the bugs I was
fixing.

But obviously, if our community standards are the other way round,
I'll follow them.

I asked because I have now lived several times now that several
developers close a bug I'm CCed to as soon as they commit the fix to
master.

The disadvantage of the latter method is that these bugs appear
crossed out in the "most annoying" (and other) lists.

Its advantage, maybe, is that it goes away from said developer's
list: their job is "finished" so it should get the hell out of their
TODO list.

I've come to see this last point as not completely obvious, and maybe
even wrong: when I commit a fix to master, I regard it as also my job
to get it backported to the other branches, so my job on this bug is
_not_ finished, so it makes sense for it to linger in my TODO list
until the fix is everywhere it should.

--
Lionel