[Libreoffice-qa] Lifecycle of builds?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Apr 10 02:25:33 PDT 2013

Hi Robinson,

On Tue, 2013-04-09 at 19:52 -0400, Robinson Tryon wrote:
> As Pedro mentioned, and as far as I understand it, our next step is to
> pick an EOL date for each of our builds and then go update the wiki
> pages. I'd be happy to help update the ReleaseNotes wiki pages, or to
> ping pmladek and hand that task over to him.

	Well - I guess Petr is the best guy to hack that page :-)

> Mmeeks suggested in this thread that 3.5.x should be considered EOL at
> this point. As the last release (3.5.7) shipped about 6 months ago, I
> suggest 6 months as the standard "lifetime" for our stable, shipped
> builds.

	Seems reasonable - 3.6.x will last a bit longer because of the jump to
4.0 I think; currently planned at 9 months.

	Would changing 'Old Releases' to "End of Life Releases" in:

	https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan

	do it ? with a bit of text saying: "A release normally has a lifetime
of around six months, however if you want longer term support for a
release, you're encouraged to engaged any certified L3 provider to
provide you with support." or something.

	Why add that marketing blurb ? I don't want people to think the code is
un-supportable after 6 months; in fact we (SUSE) continue to support
branches based on old releases for our customers, and the lifetime can
play into product choice decisions.

	How does that sound ?

	Thanks for following this up !

	All the best,