[Libreoffice-qa] Lifecycle of builds?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 07:12:01 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Rainer Bielefeld
<LibreOffice at bielefeldundbuss.de> wrote:
> Pedro wrote:
>
>> Does this also mean that 3.4 versions can already be removed from the
>> bugzilla Version picker? And 3.5 versions after the 18th of this month?
>
> Hi Pedro,
>
> no, we can't. Version info in BZ should show where the bug appeared (or at
> least has been observed the first time)

It sounds like we're got a balancing act: Provide enough versions in
the picker that one has some granularity, but not clog-up the picker
with tons of old version numbers, including beta builds, etc..

> <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport_Details#Version>.
> That has nothing to do with our maintenance for a Version branch.

Not sure what's relevant on that page...

> Please also see
> "[Libreoffice-qa] Removing LibO 3.3 from Versions dropdown in Bugzilla",
> where I demonstrated some criteria for versions removal.

Link for easy reading :-)
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.qa/3962

Rainer wrote:
"So I believe we should mark the not-release-3.3 as inactive, what means
they will stay for the bugs where they are used, but can not be used for
new bug reports (except by the LibO Bugzilla Administrators) because
they will no longer be shown in the Versions selector."

To riff off of your suggestion, perhaps we can do our cleanup in stages:

1) When we EOL a stable release such as 3.5.5, we remove (i.e. "mark
as inactive") all of the not-release-3.5.5.x versions from the
bugtracker.

This will still allow us to report bugs against the stable release,
and if someone wants to test against a beta build and insert that
information into the bug report (or even into the Summary), then that
possibility remains.

2) When we EOL a release series such as 3.5, we *could* do more
cleanup, but there still may be end users running those stable builds.

As Michael pointed out, we still have companies interested in
maintenance on those older versions. Ubuntu 12.04 still has a 3.5
build, and I'm not sure if/when that will be upgraded. Realistically,
I think we can punt on this piece of the puzzle until another day.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
--R