[Libreoffice-qa] Question : FILEOPEN bug vs 'filters and storage' bug

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Thu Apr 18 06:42:28 PDT 2013

Adam Fyne píše v Po 15. 04. 2013 v 08:18 -0700:
> Hi,
> This is my first mail sent to the 'libreoffice-qa' mail-list.

Welcome here.

> I hope this is the correct method of doing things... My question is:
>  What is the difference between bugs posted under 'Writer' section with
>  the keyword 'FILEOPEN', to bugs in the 'filter and storage' section?
>  To me - it seems as if all the bugs under that have the 'FILEOPEN'
>  keyword should be under the 'filters and storage' section, no? Best,

Good question. The uppercase names are used to crate subcomponents in
the bugzilla components. For example, it is useful to separate RTF
import/export bugs from the other Writer bugs. The subcomponent is
usually created when we see a particular developer interested into some
particular bugs.

In addition, there are two types of components. The components with the
uppercase initial letter are the primary components that should be easy
to understand. These are offered in the bugzilla assistant, see
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/

The components with low letters and kind of internal. They make sense
for certain bugs but normal people might have troubles to understand the
content. So, they are not offered in the bugzilla assistant. They are
used by bug triagers and developers.

You might find some documentation at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport_Details#Components
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/FAQ#How_to_use_subcomponents
Note that subcomponents are well supported by the bugzilla assistant,
see https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/

Back to your question. As Michael said, we prefer to enter import/export
bugs for the application-related components, e.g Writer, Calc. The
component "filters and storage" is intended for the I/O infrastructure
shared between applications. These need to be soled by more universal
hackers. You see that this component use low letters, so it is the one
for the special cases.

I hope that it makes sense.

Best Regards,
Petr