[Libreoffice-qa] Bugzilla Migration Plan

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 14:33:08 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Jochen <oooml at jochenschiffers.de> wrote:
> Hi Robinson,
>
> my thoughts are
>
> 1) wow - great idea and good plan/implementation

Thanks! We hope that people like it :-)

> Then
> 2) What benefits?

There are a number of reasons for us to migrate to our own bugtracker.
Off the top of my head:

- Be able to update field labels
- Have the bug tracker under a libreoffice.org url
- Easily have more than one product listed (e.g. Website bugs, Android
Impress Remote bugs, Marketing bugs, etc..)
- Change email defaults
- Have our bugzilla code stored in git
- Activate voting
- Bulk-update bugs without spamming the devs each time

(I'm sure that Florian or Joel can chime in here with more... :-)

> 3) Never change a running system

I'd prefer not to change the system, but IMHO we're currently butting
our heads against a slew of issues that are attributable to our
inability to customize and hack on our bugtracker. I think that
limitations in the bugtracker are starting to negatively affect other
aspects of the project. Don't get me wrong -- I don't think that us
having our own bugtracker is going to magically fix all of our
problems, but I think it's an important step in the advancement of our
project.

I'm hoping that we'll be able to effect the migration with very
minimal changes to the underlying code and data. Tiny atomic changes
are the best strategy to make the transition as painless as possible.
I'm really looking forward to working with the FDO admins to find ways
for us to simplify, simplify, and simplify even more the transition.
If we do it right, I think we can be done quickly and off to the pub
for a celebratory pint :-)

speaking of...Cheers,
--R