[Libreoffice-qa] Stagnant NEEDINFO bugs

Alex Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 01:40:30 PST 2013

Le 05/02/2013 13:03, Petr Mladek a écrit :

All,

After suffering from the last two mass closure / re-initialisations of
status of a fair number of bugs I had spent time in opening, but for
lack of a dedicated developer / interest in those particular areas of LO
at the time (OSX bugs, Base bugs) they never got any attention, I for
one, will not be interested in this happening yet again.

IMO, the rationale behind closing bugs in this way, i.e. "let's do it
and if the user/reporter is really motivated he/she is bound to get
back" sends completely the wrong message to the user community at large:

- it assumes that casual users/reporters are heavily implicated in the
project, or at least enough to defend their bug report tooth and nail;

- that many of these bug reports are fallacious or fanciful.

While some of them might well fall into the second category, I fear that
many are from people who were incited to use the bug submission
assistant after encountering a troublesome or even serious problem in
their usage of the product and are then expected to get the "community
fervour". The reality of this is that if you make a tool easily
accessible for reporting bugs, then people simply expect that report to
be followed up on by someone else, more knowledgeable. This doesn't mean
that their bug report is any less worthy or relevant just because they
don't then follow-up.

To me, the solution being proposed is yet another high-handed way of
"improving the stats" without due regard to those who made the effort in
the first place to submit a report.

Alex