[Libreoffice-qa] Stagnant NEEDINFO bugs

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 04:19:40 PST 2013

On 06/02/13 10:40, Alex Thurgood wrote:
> Le 05/02/2013 13:03, Petr Mladek a écrit :
>
> All,
>
> After suffering from the last two mass closure / re-initialisations of
> status of a fair number of bugs I had spent time in opening, but for
> lack of a dedicated developer / interest in those particular areas of LO
> at the time (OSX bugs, Base bugs) they never got any attention, I for
> one, will not be interested in this happening yet again.

how many of your bugs are in NEEDINFO state?  if the problem is really
developer attention (and i don't doubt that this is the case for many
bugs) then they should not be in NEEDINFO state and you won't get any mails.

> IMO, the rationale behind closing bugs in this way, i.e. "let's do it
> and if the user/reporter is really motivated he/she is bound to get
> back" sends completely the wrong message to the user community at large:
>
> - it assumes that casual users/reporters are heavily implicated in the
> project, or at least enough to defend their bug report tooth and nail;
>
> - that many of these bug reports are fallacious or fanciful.

actually i sometimes do see bugs that don't make any sense to me, and
wonder what the heck the reporter's problem is.  but i don't remember
any of your bugs having this problem :)

> While some of them might well fall into the second category, I fear that
> many are from people who were incited to use the bug submission
> assistant after encountering a troublesome or even serious problem in
> their usage of the product and are then expected to get the "community
> fervour". The reality of this is that if you make a tool easily
> accessible for reporting bugs, then people simply expect that report to
> be followed up on by someone else, more knowledgeable. This doesn't mean
> that their bug report is any less worthy or relevant just because they
> don't then follow-up.

a report that says "feature foo doesn't work" without saying in exactly
which way feature foo doesn't work is useless and wastes everybody's
time trying out feature foo and seeing it work as expected because the
reporter didn't write that to see feature foo fail you first have to
insert a bar and a quux into your document, click Undo and do all of
that with change tracking enabled.