[Libreoffice-qa] Calc quality and compatibility tests

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Feb 28 08:28:08 PST 2013

Hi Pedro,

On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 07:12 -0800, Pedro wrote:
> While searching for a file in my HDD I found this old datefuns.xls (dated
> from 2007) After a little search I found out that it belongs to a set of
> test files from back in 1999 (Yes, from the last century and/or millenium :) )

	Sure sure - gnumeric has some nice test documents.

> The set was created to test Gnome's own Gnumeric compatibility with Excel
> functions. (in fact there was a young developer named Michael Meeks
> interested on those problems

	These young people ! they're the very end ;-)

> The interesting part is that many of the functions are still not compatible
> with LibreOffice 3.6.5.2 (haven't installed 4.0.1.2 which is already
> available)

	So - datefuns works perfectly for me in master and in 4.0; 18 out of
18.

> In addition there are even some Perl scripts to automagically test if the
> builds pass the tests...

	We could easily do that headless during the build in LibreOffice if
someone was interested.

> I believe this would hugely increment the Quality control (at least in
> Calc...)

	Not sure; as I say there are a lot of corner-cases in that document
collection that we don't pass - some of those need major structural
change in calc (eg. the boolean type) to make them work.

	We actually have some really good unit tests for calc - where we
load/calculate and compare to some known-good CSV files.

	We're always trying to encourage people to add more exotic (but
comprehensible) tests of that form here:

$ find sc/qa -name 'hard-recalc*'
sc/qa/unit/data/contentCSV/hard-recalc.csv
sc/qa/unit/data/ods/hard-recalc.ods

	As an example of a pair of those. If we have other (small) torture-test
documents to exercise one particular feature - implicit intersections
say; it'd be great to have help extending that. Are you interested ? :-)
no doubt Markus would have some good advice as to exactly what would
help improve coverage most.

	All the best,

		Michael.