[Libreoffice-qa] Calc quality and compatibility tests

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 08:55:54 PST 2013

Hi Michael

Michael Meeks-2 wrote
>> The interesting part is that many of the functions are still not
>> compatible
>> with LibreOffice 3.6.5.2 (haven't installed 4.0.1.2 which is already
>> available)
>
> 	So - datefuns works perfectly for me in master and in 4.0; 18 out of
> 18.

Really? I get 14 out of 18.

It surprises me that the MONTH function worked for you. It should fail for
everyone everywhere because the date for 0 (zero) in Excel is 1/0/1900 while
in Calc it is 12/30/1899 as default. So MONTH returns 1 in Excel and 12 in
Calc...

Michael Meeks-2 wrote
>> In addition there are even some Perl scripts to automagically test if the
>> builds pass the tests...
>
> 	We could easily do that headless during the build in LibreOffice if
> someone was interested.

I assume people in the QA team would be interested?

Michael Meeks-2 wrote
> 	Not sure; as I say there are a lot of corner-cases in that document
> collection that we don't pass - some of those need major structural
> change in calc (eg. the boolean type) to make them work.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. There are major structural changes
needed so it's best not to touch it? Is it like a wasp's nest?

Michael Meeks-2 wrote
> 	As an example of a pair of those. If we have other (small) torture-test
> documents to exercise one particular feature - implicit intersections
> say; it'd be great to have help extending that. Are you interested ? :-)
> no doubt Markus would have some good advice as to exactly what would
> help improve coverage most.

I'm puzzled! How come =sum(2,2) equals 5???

I am available to help. But first shouldn't we try to understand why these
files work correctly in Excel and Gnumeric but not in Calc? Isn't it a
LibreOffice goal to be 100% compatible with Excel files (at least on first
import...)?

Cheers,
Pedro