[Libreoffice-qa] Stagnant NEEDINFO bugs

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Mon Jan 28 01:24:15 PST 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-26 at 15:06 -0800, Joel Madero wrote:
> On 01/26/2013 02:48 PM, Jack Leigh wrote:
> >> c) a reminder + automated closing of bug after some period of time
> >
> > +1 Something like automated closing after 3 months in NEEDINFO
> Response: From developer side, they'll see a MASSIVE influx of emails,
> pointed out by a core developer. This would need approval from ESC

This will cause many mails only in the first round. It will be normal
level of mails if we do this regularly. If people are in CC, they need
to expect some comments, either from the user, or triager, or an
automat.

> Possible option: New keyword "AUTOMATED", devs can filter these out
> individually and easily delete

In each case, we need to write some explanation in the comment.

One problem here is how to deal with bugs in NEEDEDINFO state where the
user provided some information but she forgot to change the status flag.
Are these situations detected by bug triagers in time? Will these bugs
be closed automatically as well?

Anyway, I think that it is best to get the information out of the user
when the bug is fresh and when the user is somehow motivated. So, I
would prefer to keep some dynamics and close the bugs after one month in
NEEDINFO state. I would use a comment like:

"This bug has been in NEEDINFO for more than 30 days. It cannot be
solved in this state. Feel free to reopen it together with the required
information."

If we do the close automatically and could not detect wrong state. We
could add one more paragraph, with something like:

"This change has been done automatically. If you have already provided
the information and just forgot to change the NEEDINFO state, feel free
to simply reopen the bug."

Best Regards,
Petr