[Libreoffice-qa] URGENT Cherry pick regressions to next release

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 8 09:09:15 PDT 2013

Hey,

2013/7/8 Pedro <pedlino at gmail.com>:
> Andras Timar-3 wrote
>> It is in the review queue for 4.1.0:
>> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/4738/
>
> Excellent! But it would make sense to let people know about that in
> Bugzilla?
>
> In Bugzilla you only get Whiteboard: BSA target:4.2.0 target:4.1.1
>
> In any case, that was an example. I meant this (MAB regressions applied to
> the nearest release) should be a general rule for Devs?

I understand your point but the problem is a bit more complex. After
fixing any bug, including MAB, a developer has to evaluate several
points about his fix:
* Does the fix contain a new feature?
* How important is the bug fix?
* Is the fix safe enough for a stable branch?
* How much did the code change between the two versions?

Depending on this analysis the author/commiter has to decide whether a
bug fix/commit should be included into a stable branch. This should
never be an automatic process, instead each commit needs this check by
a developer.
Of course you can ask the developer in the bug report if a patch did
not show up after several days if he just forgot it or if he has other
concerns.

Regards,
Markus