[Libreoffice-qa] Send Feedback...and BSA ideas

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Fri Jul 12 15:42:03 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:06:00PM -0700, Joel Madero wrote:
> The idea is that if the user chooses to submit without an account,
> the bug will be reported under a default account (possibly
> bugs at tdfplanet.org), they will be forced to enter an email address
> and do a captcha - then their email address would go into the bug
> report as a CC'ed user.

Hmm. Two questions:
a/ how do you cc an email address that has no bugzilla account? AFAIK, that doesnt work?
b/ using unverified emails for such things is icky. How do we know people dont abuse it?

(actually a/ is a result of b/)

> Currently Mozilla (which we discussed during ESC) doesn't force a
> user account so, if we can emulate this and get to a landing page
> which avoids having to sign up for accounts - might be a good thing.
>
> Before we move forward looking for feedback, Robinson feel free to
> expand on anything that I missed.

I would still let the feedback go to askbot with a easily queriable tag.
We could ask people for an OpenID or an email. In the first case we are luring
people in (and askbots gamification with badges might do its magic from there
on) and for the pure email solution, we would need cronjob polling the
generated question on askbot and send updates to the reporter. These updates
might lure the reporter back (and _then_ do a OpenID login to keep involved).

There are a bazillion problems with the emailing still:
- How to unsubscribe (e.g. if the question gets huge activity)?
- How to avoid abuse, false and unverified emails etc.?

The important part on the mozilla feedback page is not the layout (dont get me
wrong: showing a smiley to someone angry at us is a Good Thing for mitigating
the pain), but the relevant part is IMHO what to do with the feedback, not some
small bandaid for someone who got hurt.

So what to do after the happy/sad intro? IMHO it could be something like this:

Did LibreOffice made you happy or sad?
 - LibreOffice made me happy!
  - Was it something cool, that you might want to share as a tip with others so
    they can do it too?
    => askbot, self-answered question (aka knowledgebase entry)
  - Was it a generic LibreOffice feature you experienced? Describe it below,
    and click the button, to post this on your twitter/g+/facebook page.
 - LibreOffice made me sad!
  - Was LibreOffice doing something unexpected or can we help you solving a
    specific problem?
    => askbot, unanswered question
  - No, I have a different/generic complaint.
    => these are tricky. Reply to email "Thanks for your feedback" and then
    send to some private mailing list, for some poor sob to parse through?

Im still uneasy about this without a clearer definition of "some poor sob" and
a good story how to motivate that work.

Best,

Bjoern