[Libreoffice-qa] MAB. 3.6 to 4.0 migration. When?

Tommy barta at quipo.it
Wed Jul 31 12:22:34 PDT 2013

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:42:57 +0200, Petr Mladek <pmladek at suse.cz> wrote:

> bfoman píše v So 27. 07. 2013 v 02:44 -0700:
>> Petr Mladek wrote
>> > About 3000 bugs were fixed for LO 4.1 [...] Only small part of them
>> was
>> > fixed via the MABs process.
>>
>> Hi!
>> Code freeze for 4.0.x branch is set to end of October and branch will be
>> EOLed in November, just in 3-4 months. Migrating 3.6 MABs to 4.0 MAB is
>> like
>> watching the same movie all over again - you know what will happen. Bugs
>> will be confirmed, got MAB status (or not) and usually nothing will
>> happen
>> till next MAB moving round.
>
> This is why I suggested to clean up the MAB list and do not blindly move
> the bugs to 4.0 MAB.

I agree with you. actually I'm doing critical review to get rid of some
bugs that became WFM, bugs that do not really represent a MAB etc. etc.
and move to the 4.0mab only those bugs which really deserve it.

>> I think that all this MAB per branch procedure should be reinvented
>> together
>> with the devs - the question is how to get their attention to help
>> users by
>> fixing major and annoying issues, even by slowing down introduction of
>> new
>> features.

let's see how things work with the 3.6 --> 4.0 migration and then decide
if such a thing should be done again when 4.0.x reaches the EOL.

> Nobody is perfect and MAB list is just a helper process. Here are some
> statistics:
>
> MAB version    nominated     fixed    open      success
> 3.6            245           184      61        75%
> 4.0            138           124      14        90%
> 4.1            68            59       9         87%
>
> So, we fixed nearly 90% of MABs for 4.0 and 4.1. Is it something bad?
> I do not thing so. IMHO, it is a great success.

I agree that the devs did a lot of work. the fixed percentage is very high.