[Libreoffice-qa] Portable vs Parallel: which one is better?

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 08:59:12 PDT 2013

Kieran Peckett wrote
>> > I think that the whole portable X-LibO repository from winPenPack could
>> be
>> > a valuable tool for QA guys.
>
> Just out of interest... how?

Because, unlike PortableApps, they do keep all previous versions available.
This can be quite useful to find a regression.

TDF as a PortableApps partner should keep all PortableApps versions.
Unfortunately that sometimes fails
http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/3.6.5.2/portable/
Luckily there are other backups
http://ftp.uni-muenster.de/pub/software/DocumentFoundation/libreoffice/portable/

Even if PortableApps dropped the 3.6 branch, maybe wPP will still have a
3.6.6 build and also the upcoming 3.6.7
Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Kieran Peckett wrote
> I agree - for testing of older versions, paralell / server is the way to
> go, but for people coming with questions about the portable version, I
> think an archive should be made available.

Indeed it should. But it seems that the wPP archive is a better bet.

However this is useful not only for testing old versions and regressions.
Here is a good use of a portable version from a (soon to be) discontinued
branch
http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/18402/can-libreoffice-read-staroffice-sdw-files/