[Libreoffice-qa] Food for thought...

V Stuart Foote VStuart.Foote at utsa.edu
Thu Jun 13 11:31:51 PDT 2013

Not sure I'd exactly consider Rob's musings as unbiased.

Kind of an apples and oranges comparison, truth be told the public persona
of Apache Open Office is still based on a  12 month old release  (r1351645).
Relatively bug free, but remains feature poor compared to the AOO
development builds.

In that time frame LibreOffice has issued I think 15 timed maintenance
releases and done two major version releases, each with substantial UI
changes, all of which can discourage casual users.

And, that is not to say that the development effort at Apache OpenOffice is
lacking, but the pace of putting anything but developer builds out for
general use, is considerably slower.

And, if there was some way of comparing daily developer builds--suspect the
numbers would be more meaningful. Of course that would be a sample size of
only a couple dozen.