[Libreoffice-qa] Calc quality and compatibility tests

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Mar 1 01:41:13 PST 2013

Hi Pedro,

On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 08:55 -0800, Pedro wrote:
> > 	So - datefuns works perfectly for me in master and in 4.0; 18 out of
> > 18.
>
> Really? I get 14 out of 18.

	There must be some locale sensitivity in the sheet the; in en_US.UTF-8
locale it works fine for me; take a look:

	http://users.freedesktop.org/~michael/datefuns.png

	Which highlights some of the problems with building reliable tests I
suspect ;-)

> Michael Meeks-2 wrote
> > 	Not sure; as I say there are a lot of corner-cases in that document
> > collection that we don't pass - some of those need major structural
> > change in calc (eg. the boolean type) to make them work.
>
> I'm not sure I follow your logic here. There are major structural changes
> needed so it's best not to touch it? Is it like a wasp's nest?

	Certainly not - we need to fix this specific issue - but we also have
some other major structural changes that we plan in the calc core. We
want to do those changes fire since they will conflict with and/or
hinder that work, and doing them later will make them easier to do IMHO
etc. Not all tasks are standalone - but if you want to work on something
here let me know.

> Michael Meeks-2 wrote
> > 	As an example of a pair of those. If we have other (small) torture-test
> > documents to exercise one particular feature - implicit intersections
> > say; it'd be great to have help extending that. Are you interested ? :-)
> > no doubt Markus would have some good advice as to exactly what would
> > help improve coverage most.
>
> I'm puzzled! How come =sum(2,2) equals 5???

	It doesn't ;-) notice the file is called 'hard-recalc.ods' - the filter
loads and shows the (wrong) number stored in the .ods as the result
without re-calculating, and then tests the functionality behind:

	https://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Recalculate

	With a hard-recalculate. So we know that that works and hasn't
regressed :-)

> I am available to help. But first shouldn't we try to understand why these
> files work correctly in Excel and Gnumeric but not in Calc? Isn't it a
> LibreOffice goal to be 100% compatible with Excel files (at least on first
> import...)?

	Sure why not said that - as Markus says, if there are corner cases that
are not whole categories of problem - (eg. the boolean issue is not
tractable just yet), and are isolated to single functions, and are not
related to Excel's date complications, then - it'd be good to have some
nice clean regression tests for those - and we can split them up into
bugs or easy-hacks to fix.

	All the best,

		Michael.