[Libreoffice-qa] What should we do with bugs filed against Extensions/Templates?

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Sat Mar 30 02:59:59 PDT 2013

Hi,

Robinson Tryon wrote (29-03-13 23:23)

> Indeed, no matter what system we set up, some users will file a bug. I
> agree! But if we warn the users first, then we can at least argue that
> we tried our best to be clear about what support to expect.

Yes, it is good to have explanation about what may be expected and what not.

> If a user downloads LibreOffice an an extension right now, why
> wouldn't he expect both items to have the same level of support? Both
> items were procured from a .libreoffice.org domain, and the front page
> of the Extensions site makes no mention that the extensions are
> developer-supported or the QA team won't assist with them:
> http://extensions.libreoffice.org/

Hmm, indeed a serious omission.

> If we don't have contact information for a particular extension
> developer, then there's no notification and no service to the one
> providing the extension.

Not sure that I understand this.
Hmm, wait, I see there isn't a way that users, people that download an
extension, can give feedback to the one providing the extension...
A serious omission too.

> Remember that if an extension stops working, it's not the absentee
> developer who is inconvenienced, but the user who installed it with
> some expectations of reliability.

What one can do now, is like/dislike. But that's a quite rough manner of
communicating.

> As long as we have a clear workflow for triagers, then I guess that
> plan would provide us with a technical solution. I'm just not sure how
> well it will be received by frustrated users who probably shouldn't
> have installed the extension in the first place!

So my summary is that three things would be helpful here:
- general info on the extension website explaining who is responsible;
- contact information of the one providing the extension;
- a note somewhere on the LibreOffice QA site/wiki, that we can refer to
if an issue needs to be marked as NOTOURBUG, where there is clear and
friendly explanation.

To me this seems the easiest way to handle the case, with responsibility
where it belongs, and the least hassle of maintaining extra structures /
procedures.

Does that make sense?
Cheers,

--