[Libreoffice-qa] Portable vs Parallel: which one is better?

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Sun May 19 14:06:55 PDT 2013

Hi Tommy, all

Tommy wrote
> you should check X-LibreOffice which is an alternative portable package
>  from winPenPack.com
>
> IMHO X-LibreOffice is much better than the PortableApps package.

Thank you for the suggestion. Just downloaded and unpacked version 4.0.2
(for comparison)

It does have some nice touches like the language selection at first run.
Curiously it seems to be running faster than the installed version.

Tommy wrote
> moreover the guys from wPP.com keep updated every branch minor release.
>
> you can download here the X-LibO 3.6.5
> http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.1338

That shows that they have missed 3.6.6 (which was launched back in April...
one month before 4.0.3)
But they do have 3.5.7 which is a good thing (as I mentioned PortableApps
ignored all versions after 3.5.5)

It is a shame that they (wPP.com) only started doing Portable versions for
the 3.5 branch. It would be great to have a Portable version 3.4.6.2
(PortableApps stopped at 3.4.5.2)

Regarding the package size, the download is larger than any other option
(it's just a zip file) but the unpacked folder is around 340Mb so it's quite
similar to the PortableApps space requirements (and nearly a third of the
parallel install)

Again, thank you for the suggestion