[Libreoffice-qa] [libreoffice-website] Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: Engaging users: initial results of the survey

Rob Snelders rob at ertai.nl
Tue Nov 12 08:48:42 PST 2013

> Fair enough. So you were expecting a link to the bugtracker either on
> the main page or from the BSA?

I think he means that the 4.0-banner isn't what he expects. I don't know
what is better.
The banner has many uses for people that just want to download 4.0.

> (Rob - Thinking a bit broader, it would be nice if we could give users
> a single page that would display information about their activity on
> Bugzilla, the Ask site, etc. Using some form of SSO like OpenID or at
> least shared credentials (e.g. LDAP) could make this easier)

you do realist that's a lot of work, also on systems we have no real
knowledge about.
But the idea would be great. However we do have more suggestions that
can be added to ask, for example integration with OpenID and move a
question to a bug (and visa-versa).

>> 2. After going to the main website, I clicked on 'Get Help', and then
>> clicked on 'Bug'...
>>
>> The only option here is to report a bug.
>>
>> What if I don't want to report a bug, but only want to search for
>> bugs?
>>
>> Even after I log in, the only next step available is to continue
>> reporting a
>> bug I don't want/need to report!?
>
> Rob - Any thoughts here?

There is already a enhancement-request to add the URL of bugzilla to the
BSA. I didn't come around to it but we _really_ should implement that
soon. I'll look into it.

>> This is HORRIBLY BROKEN.
>>
>> How do I just log into the bug reporting system and search it? Anyone?
>
> To log in, navigate to http://bugs.freedesktop.org/ and click on the
> "Log In" link. To search the bugs, click on the "Search" link.
>
> I agree that we should make it easier for users to find and use
> Bugzilla. Tanstaafl -- we're actually right in the middle of some
> backend infrastructure improvements for Bugzilla, but I'll make sure
> that we spend some time on the frontend of things as well.

Some requests for better UI in BSA are dependent on that work so it
really needs to be done. But I think we can have the quick improvement
of at least add the link.