[Libreoffice-qa] Refer to teams or roles rather than individual people?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 22:04:15 PST 2013

Hi guys,

I've been doing some cleanup on the wiki in preparation for the
Bugzilla Migration, and I've run across a number of wiki pages that
explicitly refer to individuals as part of the steps to perform a
task.

For example, this wiki page includes a custom file-a-bug link to
Bugzilla that includes assigning the bug to a particular person:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice_Localization_Guide/How_To_Submit_New_Locale_Data

As we all know, the particular people in a project may change over
time. People move jobs, people's interests change, and sometimes we
even lose contributors. I think that instead of embedding individual
names and email addresses into our wiki pages and processes, we should
try to refer to roles and teams.

I know that we have to be careful here lest we use terms like
"leader," but abstract references serve at least two big benefits:
1) When someone changes roles, the references still point to the right
(new) person
2) Titles are easier to remember than names

For example, in this case of submitting locale data files, the
assigned-to email could be something like
"localization-wrangler at libreoffice.org."

If people want to alert QA to something, we could use emails like
"qa@" and "bsa@" for the appropriate set of people.

Obviously, some pages serve as a reference point for names -- like the
Developers page, the QA/Team page, or even the ownCloud page that
lists the current Admins. But those names aren't listed in processes.
Those wiki pages are used as a reference point so that elsewhere one
can say "ask the [[QA/Team]] for help" or "[[FindTheExpert]] for the
correct area and ask for help".

Essentially, I think we should abstract-out names and emails, and
refer to individual/team roles.

Thoughts?

If people think this might be a good idea, I'll bring up the idea with
some other teams.

Cheers,
--R