[Libreoffice-qa] Extensive docx conversion tests...

Jay Philips philipz85 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 21 20:51:24 PDT 2014

Hi Robinson,

Thanks for cc'ing me as i wasnt part of the list but have sent in a
request to be part of it.

> Jay -- Thanks for the legwork here! As of right now all of your
UNCONFIRMED bug reports have had their status updated to NEW,
ASSIGNED, or FIXED. Got any more compat bugs to report? :-)

Your welcome and thank you for looking into the bugs i have already
submitted. If you want a compat bug which i just confirmed while writing
this message but still havent reported, here is one. in the last 2 test
documents i have been working on, if you open the .docx in calligra
words and then save it as a odf, and then open that odt in libO, the
tables will be crushed flat, allowing 1 character per line. I initially
thought this was isolated, but it happen in both documents i opened
which had tables in it though calligra words was able to reopen it fine.
i then tested opening the file in word 2010 and the tables weren't
perfect but still okay, but i'm assuming it has to be related to word
2010's odf compatibility.

I am currently finishing off the 3rd test document i've been working on,
but i have only submitted the major bugs that i've found in these tests.
I report most of the bugs on my twitter account <
https://twitter.com/jphilipz/ > as i'm also testing kingsoft writer and
calligra works, but after i complete the tests, i take all the tweets
and put them into a text file and then .zip it along with all the test
documents created during the test, and i place them at a public url for
interested parties to have access to. As this is my current work flow,
its difficult to make individual bug reports for each individual problem
that occurs during the testing, but i will try to submit more. If i were
permitted, i would like to send into the list a more customized test
result .zip file just of libreoffice bugs, which would contain the
related tweets (along with its related bug reports i've sent in),
created test documents, and images of the errors. With this, i'm
assuming it would be easy for the devs to create the necessary bugs
reports with.

So far in this 3rd test i've been using < http://bit.ly/QBBwfV >, and
here are the tweets related to libreoffice and i've added '[reported]'
to the end of the ones i've reported in bugzilla.

test3: @libreoffice opened docx close to perfection except for a slight
spacing issues and an incorrect font size - http://img.ly/yEH3
test3: @libreoffice 4.0's opened the .doc close to perfection except for
a table width not being constant - img.ly/yEH7
test3: @libreoffice 4.1+'s had the same table issue in the .doc, as well
as a problem with the heading - http://img.ly/yEHe
test3: @libreoffice 4.1+'s opening of the .doc also had a problem of
showing a purple line at the top of each page - http://img.ly/yEIY

test3: unable to export .docx into another .docx in @libreoffice 4.2 as
the UI crashes with an error dialog - http://img.ly/yFvh [reported]
test3: reopening saved rtf in @libreoffice 3.6 to 4.2 returns a file
format error dialog box - http://img.ly/yFvC [reported]
test3: reopening saved odf 1.1 in @libreoffice causes loss of numbered
and bullet list indentation, as well as paragraph spacing issues
test3: reopening saved odf 1.2 and .doc in @libreoffice was exactly like
the original, plus it didnt have the incorrect font size issue
test3: reopened docx in @libreoffice 4.1 and it has missing background
color behind document heading - http://img.ly/yFye

test3: opened @Kingsoft_Office doc in @libreoffice and each page had a
pink line in its header and font styles were off
test3: opened @Kingsoft_Office docx in @libreoffice and document title
was missing, and incorrect number list style - http://img.ly/yFxt
test3: opened @Kingsoft_Office rtf in @libreoffice and the results were
bad mainly due to incorrect font sizes for bullet list items

test3: opened @calligrasuite odf in @libreoffice and it has 24 pages as
tables are crushed flat and first page document heading is missing
[first part mentioned above]

I look forward working with you and the QA team.

Jay Philips