[Libreoffice-qa] Extensive docx conversion tests...

Jay Philips philipz85 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 01:52:58 PDT 2014

On 04/22/2014 08:28 AM, Robinson Tryon wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Jay Philips <philipz85 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Robinson,
>>
>> Thanks for cc'ing me as i wasnt part of the list but have sent in a request
>> to be part of it.
> :-)
>
> If you run into any problems, just ping me, and we'll do our best to
> get it straightened out.

I'm in :D

>> I report most of the bugs on my twitter account <
>> https://twitter.com/jphilipz/ > as i'm also testing kingsoft writer and
>> calligra works, but after i complete the tests, i take all the tweets and
>> put them into a text file and then .zip it along with all the test documents
>> created during the test, and i place them at a public url for interested
>> parties to have access to. As this is my current work flow, its difficult to
>> make individual bug reports for each individual problem that occurs during
>> the testing, but i will try to submit more.
> Individual bug reports are best as bite-sized pieces for us, but we'll
> do our best to work with anything that you submit. Because we have to
> make the most of our QA and Dev time, the easier it is for us to repro
> your results, and the faster we can get a Dev up to speed on the
> precise details, the more bugs we can identify and squash each day :-)

if the format below isnt suitable, then i'll work harder to submit more
bugs.

>> If i were permitted, i would
>> like to send into the list a more customized test result .zip file just of
>> libreoffice bugs, which would contain the related tweets (along with its
>> related bug reports i've sent in), created test documents, and images of the
>> errors. With this, i'm assuming it would be easy for the devs to create the
>> necessary bugs reports with.
> Generally speaking, the devs don't have time to create bug reports.
> Right now QA has a backlog of 1100+ Unconfirmed bug reports, so we
> have only limited time to create new bug reports ourselves. But if you
> can create a formatted data file that contains tuples of
> (Document/Document URL, What's wrong, Repro steps), we might be able
> to find the time to turn those into bug reports.

Allof the bugs that i report are pretty much limited to opening the
original .docx file, opening the microsoft compatibility pack converted
.doc file, saving the .docx file in various formats in different word
processors, open up the various formats in the word processor it was
created with, and opening up the various formats in other word
processors. With your previous instructions, i could easily convert my
tweets into the following (i skipped the ones already sent as bug reports).

Bugs for opening .docx file located at < http://bit.ly/QBBwfV >
1. page 2: number list has incorrect font style [tested on 3.6+] -
http://img.ly/yEH3 (note: saving the file as a odf or doc shows the
style correctly, so the data is there but its not showing it)

Bugs for opening .doc version of the .docx converted with microsoft
compatibility pack
1. page 1: text in document title is position incorrectly due to
table[regression since 4.1] - http://img.ly/yEHe
2. every page: a purple line appears as header border[regression since
4.1] - http://img.ly/yEIY
3. page 8: table width is not constant [tested on 4.0+] - http://img.ly/yEH7

Save .docx into docx/odf 1.1 formats in LibO and bugs for reopening
these saved files
1. odf 1.1 - all pages with lists: file losses indentation for numbered
and bullet lists [tested on 4.0+]
2. odf 1.1 - page 3: many paragraphs not retaining the 'dont add the
space between paragraphs of the same type'[tested on 4.0+]
3. docx - page 1: document heading table doesnt retain background
transparency, instead saved as white [tested on 4.0/4.1] -
http://img.ly/yFye (note: couldnt test on 4.2 as it crashes when trying
to save it)

Save .docx into docx/doc/rtf formats in Kingsoft Writer and bugs for
reopening these saved files in LibO
1. doc - page 2: font size of numbered lists is incorrect and bullet
list character font opened as Liberation Serif U+FB01 rather than
Windings 3 U+F084 [tested on 3.6+]
2. docx - page 1: document title table appearing behind image as image
wrap set to 'wrap through' rather than 'background' [tested on 4.0+]
3. rtf - all pages: document styles not imported in correctly resulting
in large bullet list text [tested on 4.1+] (note: earlier version of
LibO cant open it)
4. rtf - page 3: number list numbers appearing like '10!br0ken!!' rather
than '1.'
5. rtf - every page: a purple line appears as header border

Save .docx into odf formats in Calligra Words and bugs for reopening
this saved file in LibO
1. page 1: microsoft title image missing [tested on 3.6+]
2. page 7: tables are loaded crushed flat with 1 character per line
[tested on 3.6+]

Save .docx into doc/odt in Word 2010 and bugs for reopening these saved
files in LibO
1. odt - page 6: the number list entry is '1' rather than '2' (note:
this might possibly be due to microsoft implementation of odf)
2. rtf - all pages: most russian characters have turned into ascii
[regression in 4.2]
3. rtf - all pages: bullet list character incorrect [tested on 4.1+]

> If there's anything in particular we can do to make it easier for you
> to submit bug reports, let me know. Because you're doing the original
> testing, it's most helpful for us to have you listed as the reporter
> in Bugzilla so that the QA Team and the devs can ping you with any
> follow-up q's regarding the precise problems you're encountering, and
> you can provide feedback on whether a proposed fix has actually
> resolved the problems that you're seeing on your system.

I would be glad to be included as a CC to a bug if there would need to
be any follow ups, if that would help.

>> I look forward working with you and the QA team.
> Hooray!

Yay!