[Libreoffice-qa] Media Support in LibreOffice

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 07:35:48 PDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 1:07 AM, Owen Genat <owen.genat at gmail.com> wrote:

(Hmm... looks like some messages are taking a while to reach the list
(or at least reach me). I'll look into this)

> "As of the Mac OS X Lion, the underlying media framework for Quicktime,
> QTKit, is deprecated in favor of a newer graphics framework, AV Foundation."
>
> There seem to have been a number of commits (by Herbert Dürr and Tor
> Lillqvist) on 2014-05-15 related to this:
> ... but I am not clear about how (or if) this will affect the end user.

Did my email yesterday help to clear up some of the confusion?

In a nutshell, it sounds like there are two frameworks supported in OS X 10.9:
- QuickTime (deprecated)
- AVFoundation

After the commits by Herbert and Tor, I believe that LibreOffice can
use either framework (defaulting to QuickTime, and falling back to
AVFoundation). The problem is that as of right now, there's no
documentation for adding 3rd party codecs to AVFoundation, so while
QuickTime should work for now (This needs more testing), our path
forward is unclear.

> Is it worth including links to the official lists of containers / codecs
> supported by each media framework? They are linked in this AskLO answer:
>
> http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/854/what-video-formats-does-libreoffice-impress-support/?answer=1451#post-id-1451

Official lists sound like a good addition to the wiki -- I'll add them!

Best,
--R

--
Robinson Tryon